Thursday 12 September 2013

Summerhill House Hotel - Enniskerry, Ireland

The Spa Break - we went for relaxation, it was anything but; Fawlty Towers in the Irish countryside.

When we pulled up to the hotel, we were really looking forward to our stay. There seemed to be a wedding on, and there's always a good atmosphere around wedding party's.


Well this was a disaster and a half!
I had booked over the phone for a mid week break for the two of us. We had to go to Belfast the day before to view wedding venues and thought this would be a relaxing end to the trip! We were Wrong!

On arrival to the hotel, I was told there was NO booking for us. The staff at the reception weren't very helpful at all! I thought they were badly presented, the reception area was very untidy and felt extremely unwelcoming!
Then to top it off after they found us a room (very cramped) it appeared unfinished; the room was missing light fittings and the smoke alarm was hanging off the ceiling?!
Once we were settled into the room, we waited for the Spa - Rainforest Day Spa, to call us down for our treatments. When the call comes its only to tell us that we can not be accommodated on that evening and we will have to come down in the morning instead! So fair enough I say OK, no problem.
This is where it gets interesting. I go to get a shower for dinner only to find the shower is not heating up! Call down to reception and 15 minutes later we get MOVED into another room. So we have to grab all out stuff,  run down the courtyard in our bath robes! This room is even smaller! So I get in the shower which worked fine, get out and start getting ready thinking this has to get better now. While my partner goes to get a shower.
She's in the shower no more than 2 minutes when I hear her screaming. I ran in to find the shower has scalded her! She jumps out of the shower straight onto a lump of glass that the cleaner obviously missed while cleaning! I was thinking, this is getting beyond a joke now! Meanwhile the restaurant in the hotel keeps calling to tell us we are late for dinner! So we call the reception to complain and she fobs us off telling us she will speak with the manager in the morning.
We go in for dinner I must say this was beautiful! The saving grace of the hotel, Beautiful food and wine! Which sort of healed the pain of the day!


After dinner we went into the bar which is decorated as an old country manor, absolutely gorgeous.

The next morning, we go down to the spa for 10am only to be told that someone had broken the jacuzzi on the balcony and we couldn't use it! Really ticked off at this point we had two hours to sit in a steam room we only used for half an hour and a sauna we couldn't use because of my partners asthma! So we ended up sitting in the 'Relaxation room' for near enough an hour ( this room is only relaxing if Your only in there for a few minutes, after 30 minutes it starts to get boring). So then my Masseuse came out to get me and I was appalled by her technique. It was the worst massage I have ever had! My partner on the other hand, had a lovely Asian woman who did a sports massage which she raved about for weeks as the best massage ever!

All in all I would definitely not recommend this for a relaxing break away! Unless you like relaxing while chasing your tail! I certainly was not impressed!

In summary, you get what you pay for but these weekend deals sum up to be nothing short of a rip off! 

No comments:

Post a Comment