Tuesday 3 September 2013

Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre - Ennis, Co.Clare

This was one of those places you wish you could leave the moment you arrive.

Wanting to get away for a few days and get a break from college, I found this hotel on HotelDealsIreland, the package which I thought was reasonably priced for €125pps. It included 2 nights Bed and Breakfast, Dinner and one 30 minute spa treatment each. The package was called the 'Romance package', but on arrival, the romance was dead.
Upon arriving at the hotel on the Saturday after a 3 hour drive from Dublin - we were greated by 3 unprofessional and slightly immature receptionists who seemed to find it strange that my partner was a woman?! After this insightly conversation we were given our room and set off from the misleading beautifully decorated reception, to the twilight zone that was our room. Upon entering the room which was just off a grubby corridor, we were smothered by the stench of stale smoke and dust. I immediately opened the window and took a look around me. The carpets and duvet were stained, the bathroom was like something out of a seedy love affair motel room! I called reception to complain, I asked why we'd been put into a smoking room when I specifically requested a non-smoking room. The receptionist apologised but said 'ya I know but they still smoke in the rooms anyway!' Is this not banned???
We were then moved to a similar room up the corridor which was equally as bad! We decided to make the most of it as we hadn't had a weekend break in about a year. It turned out I'd left something in the other room so we went back up to get it. On entering the previous room it seemed the receptionist had sprayed an air freshener!! How misleading - God love the guest who got that room next!!!
I had planned a nice relaxing weekend and we'd been looking forward to enjoying being out of the chaos of Dublin, relaxing in the countryside. I was looking forward to the spa and relaxing in a nice hot bath (the house we lived in only had a shower). The bathroom looked like it hadn't been updated since the 70's, and was extremley grubby.

Photos of Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre, Ennis
This photo of Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre is courtesy of TripAdvisor

Photos of Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre, Ennis
 
 Photos of Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre, Ennis

Photos of Auburn Lodge Hotel & Leisure Centre, Ennis

So I clearly wasn't going to attempt a bath. I waited for my spa appointment to "Relax"...
My apt. was first so my partner waited outside for me. I spoke to the therapist for a few minutes and she asked me to sign a form. She asked me was I having the facial, I said yes. She then said 'and himself is having the massage' I said 'She'. She said 'Oh right ya' (No apology!!!) She seemed a bit confused and repeated herself again ' and he's having the massage?' Seething by this stage I said 'She's a girl, her name is*******' still confused she said to me ' Oh the receptionist said you were a couple?' OMG does this girl not know about Gay couples or what!!!! So I said' Ya we are?!' she said 'Oh thats grand so, you can pretend you're getting married!!!' and laughed!! I said ' We are' and she was like oh great!!! Seriously backward this girl! What made it worse was that when she went outside while I got ready for my treatment, she went and relayed the whole thing to the leisure center receptionist!! My partner heard the whole thing! That girl ought to be ashamed of herself. I'm glad she was mortified, so would I be if I was that Ignorant and rude!
The only two nice people we encountered on the whole trip was the waiter in the bar and the receptionist on our departure. It was like taking a step into the past that place!!

PLEASE if you ever visit Ireland, don't waste your money on this place as it is clearly not a well run hotel. I just wish I had checked trip advisor the day I was booking as I missed the previous two complaints!

So much for a relaxing break away! 

No comments:

Post a Comment