Tuesday 13 August 2013

Gran Canaria

Well after two years without a proper holiday AND sun, I decided we were most definitely having both! So it's been 10 days since we landed back from an amazing week and we are already planning our trip back!
Gran Canaria hasn't got the best reputation and is usually sneered at when filling people in on where you're going. 'So where are you off to then?', 'The Canaries...', 'Oh Right' is the usual response. Well having only visited Playa del Ingles in the past, I can see where these misconceptions stem from.
Well let's set the record straight - I'm just back from a 7 night stay in San Fernando, Maspalomas; which is only a stones throw away from Playa del Ingles - but worlds apart! I had been pretty apprehensive about going back to Gran Canaria, but after researching the resorts on TripAdvisor I was pretty excited when it came to booking the holiday.
Let me fill you in on the accommodation and general area, I'll fill you in on the nightlife and Restaurants next week!

So we booked through Budget Travel FINALLY, after a tiresome trudge through various package websites - I was a bit annoyed with the restrictions that seemed in abundance on this website, much has changed since the last time I used it in 2008. After figuring out that the total price was not in fact the total price, the holiday was booked. I printed off the travel vouchers for the coach transfer, checking in online with Ryanair, and printed the accommodation voucher. I got single trip holiday insurance through a recommendation from a friend with Get Cover for €14, much to my delight! Next on the list was parking (much cheaper than a return taxi in my estimation), after checking the various car parks I rested on The Blue Car park through the DAA website. We were lucky and got a summer special offer of €33 for the week. I also purchased the Airport Genie for €4.95 each, which allowed us to get through security screening in less than 5 minutes - I hate standing in those screening ques! It also provides a free coffee voucher which we didn't bother using as it only listed three options!

The trip couldn't have gone more smoothly, after landing earlier than expected, we sailed through baggage collection and found our coach within minutes. The Bus dropped us at the top of the road and we walked less than 5 minutes to the complex. On arrival I noticed that the place seemed a little out of the way and the entrance could do with a facelift, but I told myself 'don't judge the book just yet' -We checked in with one of the nicest receptionists I've ever met, very friendly and warm. We got to our apartment, ground floor terrace, pool view (right on the pool) was gorgeous. We got inside and while the apartments were basic, they were spotlessly clean and bright, nicer than the last place I'd stayed in Playa del Ingles!!


After Briefly unpacking we sat outside to catch our breath and take in the view. We were greeted by a lovely woman and her daughter who were staying in the apartment next to us. We hit it off straight away, chatting about the area, the complex etc She had just graduated from her degree course with a first WELL DONE TASH! and it was her daughters first two week holiday - she was a little doll with a huge love of cats! Hello Kitty to be exact!

All in all, for a budget package holiday this place was a little Gem! We paid €450 each for Flights, Accommodation, Baggage, Transfers - which I think is pretty reasonable. I would definitely recommend this resort for a quiet, relaxing holiday on a budget - with the option of nightlife close by!

El Toro Ride, Holiday World, Maspalomas
I hope you check back in to follow my adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment